In 2005 we started our youth mission weeks in Romania where young people from the Ichthus church movement came out to work at our various projects working with some of the poorest families in the region. We quickly recognised the value of these trips not only to the communities we served but to the young people that were serving. It was a two way street!
2010 started our Health and Homes Programme where our Romanian team would assess a family’s needs and see if we could meet any of them through a practical project. From redecorating or totally renovating a room to building paths, fences, ramps or steps. This is now a core part of the trips, running consistently throughout the week.
Each year we support a number of different groups of on their trips, from church youth groups to school teachers, and each visit which have has a profound effect on those individuals.
Typical itinerary for a Mission Trip to Romania:
- Day 1: Flight and transfers to Casa Albert. Transfer times: Bacau Airport, 20 minutes or Bucharest airport, 4 hours. Evening meal at Casa Albert.
- Day 2: Orientation morning, the group will be split into two working parties and alternate their activities each day. Afternoon visit to Casa Albert / commence practical project.
- Day 3: Visit to Casa Lumina / work on the practical projects. Evening planning session for the day centre activities.
- Day 4: Running of the day centre activities at Hospice Casa Albert/ continuation of the practical project. Evening planning session for the day centre activities.
- Day 5: Running of the day centre activities at Hospice Casa Albert/ continuation of the practical project.
- Day 6: Day off normally a trip to Brasov Castle or to the High Ropes.
- Day 7: Morning visit to an adult institution for people with special needs, participating in activities with the patients. Afternoon at Project Hope, the Roma village in the mountains. Spend time with the village children playing games and other activities.
- Day 8: Travel back to the UK.
The cost of a trip is between £700 and £750 per person, depending on the cost of flights. The price includes flights, accommodation, food and travel within Romania. A proportion of the money will also go towards materials for the practical project and a small amount goes back into the charity.
Group sizes can be from 7 to 16. For smaller groups we will look for opportunities to link up with another small group and for groups with more than 16 members we will work with you to accommodate it over a 2 week period. Group members must be aged 14 or over, preferably in Year 10.
To book your trip or for more information, contact Beth Johnson now.